Below you can see our Training Schedule and its made up of different coloured sessions, each session is designed with a goal in mind. We have sessions that are designed for beginners, experienced runners, and those that are looking to improve their PB’s.
You can see what the sessions are below, also you can click here to see the idea behind each session is.
Running Terms Explained!
- Intervals – a type of training that involves a series of low to high intensity bursts, with rests/recoveries in between.
- Effort session – a sustained period of time or distance at a pace that is more intense than your steady run pace.
- Steady run – a run over a set distance and sometimes pace, run at a constant (depending on conditions/route) pace with minimal re-groups/stops.
- Hill session – exactly what you would expect! Running up and down hills of various gradients and at varying speeds.
- Fartlek – a Swedish term that means “speed play,” is a form of interval or speed training that can be effective in improving your running speed and endurance. Fartlek running involves varying your pace throughout your run, alternating between fast segments and slower jogs.
- Long runs – slightly different to a steady run as the distance is set but the pace is personal choice.
Meet the Littledown Harriers coaching team! All coaches have as a minimum the Leader in Running Fitness (LiRF) qualification from England Athletics.
- Head Coach – Paul Turle
- Deputy Head Coach – Laurence Stevenson
- Coaches: Simon Davies, Tracy Ashley, Mike Collins, Paolo De Luca, Kevin Dowsett, Luke Dowsett, Scott Dutton, Janet Hooper, Mike Kibble, Tracey Lander, Paul Lewry, Gerry Lucas, Mike Neal, Mark White, Gary Worsley, Caroline Searle, Caroline Horder, Danielle Dixon, James Davies, Dily Ruffer, Mark Everett, Heidi Snook, Chris Lane, Rachel Smith-Harrison, Suzanne Janes.
The club races in the Dorset Road Race League and also has its own Club Championships events, therefore to have teams, we need captains. We have a Male and Female Captain and Vice Captain. The role of these Captains is to mostly motivate the members to sign up to the races and represent the club whenever we can. Also the captains produce a monthly report of all the races that have taken place over the last month. You can see these below or on the homepage.
- The Men’s Captain is Steve Williams assisted by Vice Captain Luke Dowsett
- The Female Captain is Heather Khoshnevis assisted by Caroline Horder
Our running club is organised and run (pun entirely intended) by voluntary committee members – we have a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary, Male and Female team Captains, Male and Female Welfare officers, Head Coach and many other standing Committee members. We meet every two months to discuss matters arising within the club and endeavor to make the club as great as it possibly can be. Below you can see who these people are and what they do. You can also see below the minutes from the previous meeting/s.
- Chairperson : Greg Hawkins
- Secretary: Suzanne Janes
- Treasurer: Daniel Tout
- Membership Secretary: Gary Barnes
- Membership Secretary: Ken Ballam
- Male Team Captain: Steve Williams
- Female Team Captain: Heather Khoshnevis
- Male Welfare Officer: Gary Worsley
- Female Welfare Officer: Dily Ruffer
- Head Coach: Paul Turle
- Communications Team: Luke Dowsett
- Communications Team: Tracy Ashley
- Committee Members: Barry Telling, Janet Hooper, Kevin Dowsett, Mark Goodwin, Steve Amey, Lin Edwards
Littledown Harriers have three award categories:
- Runner of the Quarter (RotQ) – Awarded for performance, input into the club, encouragement and/or overcoming adversity. Presented every 3 months following member’s nominations, input from coaches and a committee vote. Year starts after the AGM.
- Members’ Runner of the Year (RotY) – Voted for entirely by members in recognition of another member’s input, improvement and/or club spirit etc over last 12 months and awarded at the AGM.
- Bush/Forman Trophy – Decided by the Committee and coaches for work done by a member over the last 12 months for the benefit of the club and/or local community.
Previous winners – well done to all!
Latest Awards List
Existing members will be sent a reminder email one month before your yearly April membership is due with details of how to renew.
Littledown Harriers Club Championship
Each year the club chooses 15 local races of varying distances which make up our Club Championship (CC). The following 15 races are the selected races for 2018.
To qualify for a ranking in the CC you need to complete 8 of these races. Alternative ways of achieving 8 races are to either: complete 6 of the above plus a marathon and a parkrun OR complete 7 races and a marathon or a park run.
Most of these races will fill up quickly so enter early. Awards are given overall and by age category. There is also a trophy for completing all 15 races.
The CC is divided into male and female. The first male and female Harriers home in each race get 100 points each, the second get 99 and so on. At the end of the Championship, the best 8 scores for each participant are added together and the winners are crowned! Awards are given at our awards night held in January each year.
CC Races And Dates
- Sunday 04-Feb-2018, Blackmore Vale Half Marathon, 11:00am – http://bvlhm.yolasite.com
- Sunday 11-Feb-2018, Lytchett 10, 10:30am – www.lytchettmanorstriders.org
- Sunday 25-Feb-2018, Bournemouth 10 miles, 08:30am – www.bournemouthac.co.uk
- Sat 10-Mar-2018, Larmer Tree 10, 08:30am – whitestarrunning.co.uk
- Sat 31-Mar-2018, East Cliff Rotary Quarter Marathon, 11:00am – www.rotary-ribi.org
- Sunday 14-May-2018, Lymington 10k, 10:00am – www.frsystems.co.uk/lymington-10k/
- Sunday 01-Jul-2018, Portland 10, TBC – www.rmpac.co.uk
- Sunday 23-Jul-2018, D’urberville Dash 10k, 11:00am – humanenergywool.wordpress.com/durberville-dash/
- Sunday 05-Aug-2018, Sturminster Newton Half Marathon, 10:30am – www.sturhalf.co.uk
- Sunday 2-Sept-2018, The Beast, 10:30am – pooleac.co.uk
- Sunday 30-Sep-2018, Hoburne 5m, 10:30am – christchurch-runners.org.uk
- Sunday 14-Oct-2018, Gold Hill 10k, 11.00am – www.goldhill10k.co.uk
- Sunday 28-Oct-2018, The Stickler, 10:30am – www.thestickler.co.uk
- Sunday 18-Nov-2018, Wimborne 10 miles, 10:30am – www.wimborneac.co.uk
- Sunday 25-Nov-2018, Boscombe 10k, 09:00am – www.bournemouthjoggers.co.uk
Dorset Road Race League (DRRL)
The Dorset Road Race League (DRRL) is a long established road running league in which competitors can race in up to 12 events of varying distance, spread over Dorset to win individual and team prizes each year. Competitors must be first claim members of clubs affiliated to the Dorset County Athletic Association (DCAA) and registered to England Athletics to be counted. For both individual and team competitions, the best 7 results will score towards the League. For Under 17s the best 3 of 4 and for Under 21s the best 6 of 11 will count. Some league races also incorporate DCAA championships open to those of Dorset eligibility with separate prizes to go to seniors and veterans over 40 years old.
The DRRL races for 2018 can be found below.
- You can read more about the DRRL here – http://drrl.co.uk/fixtures-2/
- Other races in and around Dorset – http://drrl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/RaceList030118.pdf
- Race reports – read the latest race report here.
DRRL Races & Dates
- Sunday 01-Jan-2018: Broadstone Quarter Marathon, DRRL – www.poolerunners.com
- Sunday 04-Feb-2018: Blackmore Vale Half Marathon, DRRL – http://bvlhm.yolasite.com
- Sunday 25-Feb-2018: Bournemouth 10 miles, DRRL – www.bournemouthac.co.uk
- Sat 31-Mar-2018: East Cliff Rotary Quarter Marathon, DRRL – www.rotary-ribi.org
- Sunday 6-May-2018: North Dorset Village Marathon, DRRL – www.ndvm.co.uk
- Sunday 01-Jul-2018: Portland 10, DRRL – www.rmpac.co.uk
- Sunday 05-Aug-2018: Sturminster Newton Half Marathon, DRRL – www.sturhalf.co.uk
- Sunday 12-Aug-2018: Round The Rock 10k, DRRL U17 – www.rmpac.co.uk
- Sunday 30-Sep-2018: Hoburne 5m, DRRL U17 – christchurch-runners.org.uk
- Sunday 14-Oct-2018: Gold Hill 10k, DRRL U17 – www.goldhill10k.co.uk
- Sunday 18-Nov-2018: Wimborne 10 miles, DRRL – www.wimborneac.co.uk
- Sunday 25-Nov-2018: Boscombe 10k, DRRL U17 – www.bournemouthjoggers.co.uk